Friday, February 10, 2006

Zatoichi

Out of the films that Tamal has given me this is one film which I recall as a favourite. I think this film is more like a Japanese mainstream movie ( masala movie, in Bollywood terms ). Very smooth swordsmanship and it just excites me. I know some people will bash me up for making this comparison but this movie reminds me of Bruce Lee's perfection in martial arts.

I do not care who the director is or the actors are, I believe the film should stand by itself with out any big names backing it. Anyway, the theme of the movie reminds me another well made movie on similar lines - Blind Fury. If I am supposed to compare them, I would say Zatoichi is the better of the two. Maybe it is because a sword looks better in a Japanese flick. Do I hear some one say "The Last Samurai"? You were saying.....?

2 comments:

Tamal said...

a few things-Blind fury is a copy of zatoichi-the serial.To be precise the 8th episode.You see zatoichi is a very famous legend in japan .And takeshi kitano's zatoichi,the one you saw is the latest in the line of zatoichi films and series.I guess thats why you find the resemblance.As for it being masala that is open to interpretation.i for one,thought the film was quite impressive in all its aspects.And it is allways a delight to watch kitano.what other films have you seen as of yet??

Aditya Saraogi said...

hmm...serial...very interesting. i would definetly like to see the other ones in the series, given a chance..blind fury is a copy as you say but I got exposed to it earlier than Zatoichi, almost a decade back...films leave quite an impression....i have seen almost all the films that you gave me....will keep posting reviews on and off...i hope that is ok.