Saturday, May 05, 2007

My new love - Pearls Before Swine

You know what is the best part of working...You get paid!! :-)
I have been doing some spending.....After I completed my Calvin and Hobbes collection, I thought - this is it..I am not going to like any other funnies....Thankfully it is not so.

There is still a lot of sarcastic humor left (if that kind was ever in short supply!). Pearls Before Swine - by Stephan Pastis..I find his humor good and interesting..

His drawing style is simpler to Bill Watterson, his language is however one up. I guess he specializes in twisting popular phrases and sayings. His characters are straight(pun intended) and simple - Pig, Rat, Goat and Zebra with a couple of friendly crocodile neighbors thrown in...

I already have three books (1. This little Piggy Stayed home 2. Nighthogs 3. The Ratvolution will not be televised - from his collection...and am having three more delivered..oh boy life is sweet...

6 comments:

Tamal said...

following your recommendation of pearls before swine, i went online and found me some of their comics and read about 50 of the single strips...although i didnt find it as funny as say calvin and hobbes, but it is interesting to say the least, i will tell you what i thought of them when i read more...

Aditya Saraogi said...

well,
I agree not every single one of them are funny...but some of the jokes are really cool...Do you know of any comic which you can say comes close to the style of C&H?

Tamal said...

nope, calvin & hobbes hold a special place in their own right. I am hardpressed to remember even a single comics which is in a similar vein.

Himalay said...

Calvin & Hobbes has no other comparision...... a skiny little boy and his super mature thinking :) amazes a lot.... Adi I owe you for all those Calvin & Hobbes comics.
I think its the only famous cartoon after Dilbert that does not have an animated movie or series after it.

Aditya Saraogi said...

tyis..who are thou?
Have shared the PDFs of Calvin n Hobbes with a lot of people....

I agree there is nothing quite like Calvin & Hobbes yet...But now when I think back upon it, its like the Tinkle of Magazines...a very sweet and cute collection which is definitely a good flip now and then, but I cannot get myself to go through them again. I can be accused of hoarding...I have to read comics of similar kinds to sustain myself and with friends like Tamal and Rohan, I dont think quality reading would be in short supply.
Anyways, I am curious - whom have I helped with C&H ( it could be payback time, with Interest!)

Himalay said...

ha ha ha... definitly its a payback time with interest.... hey man this is Himalay. I don't know how TYIS came in for my name.