Sunday, October 16, 2005

Novels


Its been some time since I have "reported" any thing, but things sure have happened in this time. For one I finally finished Vikram Seth's "A suitable boy". I took an awfully long time to complete this book, having started almost 16 months back. In the beginning I was dragging myself to read the book and then I just stopped reading it. I read Dan Brown and a couple of other novels before I decided to finally pick it up again. Once I started it again it was unputdownable.

I remember the time I was trying to find a good price for this book. As it turned out, a famed author like Vikram, his books were awfully expensive. Being the penny pincher I am, I desisted myself from buying the book at elite stores like Crossword, Oxford etc. I turned towards Fort and after some scouraging I managed a first hand edition for Rs 400. I would say, not a bad deal for a 1350 page saga.

I dont think I have the strength to write a review on the book but I can still go ahead and recommed it to the people I bump into. The one thing which struck me in his book was the lack of melodrama.

Having read A Suitable Boy, I am tempted to read other books by him. As a result I had trotted off to Fort again ( but this time the hawkers have been evicted, only a few daring remaining baring their trade on the pavement ). I managed a second hand copy of An Equal Music for 110. The original price is 500 and the book seems to be in a fairly good condition. I hope that this book will also turn out to be one of my long lasting memories. May be I am a little hasty in seeing that I find his style of writing, in this book rather uncomfortable. Well, time will tell.

Cheers
Aditya

No comments: