Friday, March 20, 2009

The best travel site so far - expedia.com


Before going on a trip, I do extensive research to try and figure out the best deal on the net. We are planning a trip to Hongkong - a 4 night / 5 day kind of deal, where one night is spent in Macau. 

The Indian setups like makemytrip.com, cleartrip.com and ezeego1.com are useless when I want to do a flight + hotel booking. They offer them separately, whereby I loose the advantage of bulk booking..Obviously,  there is the option of taking the holiday package where I travel coach class, have buffet breakfast, lunch on coach basis, something else on twin sharing basis and some other thing on sharing basis. I feel put off, when I read such stuff...Useless..In any case the I think the Indian sites have a long way to go before they can develop the market for non packaged holidaying.

Looking at International sites, I admit I went to two sites only - travelocity and expedia.

The reason why I have not clubbed traveloctity with Indian sites is because it is primarily an International player which has made a presence in India as well.( For me, making a presence means that I get to pay in INR and the site probably has payment options via local banks. )

Going by travelocity's lineage, the site offers a good combination for flight + hotel booking. However the service is very basic and there is no intelligence applied to the idea. 

Going to expedia.com was a true delight. I can
a. Book a multi destination trip - really cool
b. Book a trip in which I want to book a hotel for only a part of my stay - Now this is the option which has really made me smile. As I mentioned before, I wanted a one night macau and 3 day hong kong stay. All other sites offerred me a 4 night hk stay or nothing else. This site atleast gave me the option to choose 3 nights in hk and book return flight tickets with them and yes it works out cheaper if I take this combo when compared to booking the itineary item by item. 

Agree, this still does not allow me to choose the Macau in the same one payment deal, but I think that would be the next step in travel planning. 

The only other time when I have been more exhilirated about booking trips online was when I booked my first online ticket with Air Deccan. If any body wants to build a good travel site, expedia.com is the site to emulate!

No comments: