Friday, April 21, 2006

Munich - Much munch more

Saw a late night show of Munich yesterday. There were two factors that had made a positive impact on me even before I stepped into the theatre
1. My friend, Rohan had passed a very important test successfully and he is now well on his way to become a PhD! Yeah!
2. Rohan's blog on Munich, had sort of derated the movie for me.

So as you guessed it, with my expectations lowered and my spirits high, I ended up quite liking the movie. The fact that it deals with the events after the killings did not matter too much. The presentation was nice and through out the movie there was a desirable effect due to the absence of a constant background score. Well made and well accepted.

Couple of observations.
The movie was made around an international event that must have been well publicised inciting a lot of emotions. This some how was missing in the movie. Do not get me wrong, I would put the movie down in the genre of Drama / Action / Thriller and that too a top one. Films like Schindler's List how ever have a category of their own, and I had expected it to be in that league. I believe given the sensitivity of the event, the theme had the potential of moving emotions in people and be critically acclaimed. So now I am not surprised of its treatment at the Oscars (though I have come to believe now that Oscars are no longer a yardstick to rate films effectively).

I was pleasantly surprised to see Eric Bana in the lead role. I liked his acting and association with the character. As a whole his performance was appealing. I saw him in Hulk and was much impressed. It could have been because I liked Hulk a lot, but the actor finds himself in my favour.

The only spoiler in the movie were the explicit scenes (which were not really explicit really). The desparation show in Evner's mind could have been displayed on a much better platform than the nocturnal bed.

Good movie, glad I watched it. Lets put at it this way, I cannot affored to scoff at a Spielberg movie with out experiencing it first hand.

Chao

2 comments:

Rohan said...

Gee, glad I could bring you both up and down at the same time! My work here is done!

I liked Munich. Just don't see why it couldn't have been better. The massacre was a major international faux pas, and there was a lot to be said there. The way Germany reacted to the unfolding events was atrocious and made matters far worse.

Aditya Saraogi said...

No where in the movie does it seem that Germany had a guiilt hand in the event. Only in the end when they show the choppers being blown up by the terrorists, one might think how lightly the Germans had treated the hostage situation.